Published on : Friday, August 1, 2014
Joburg is excited to welcome the 21st World Orchid Conference (WOC) & Exhibition – one of the most prominent and extravagant flowery shows to the city arranged at the Sandton Convention Centre from 10 – 14 September 2014.
Lindiwe Kwele, CEO of Johannesburg Tourism Company is thrilled that the conference is returning to South Africa 30 years after it was held in Durban in 1981. This popular international event, the 21st WOC, was proposed by a group of South African orchid admirers and won in corporation with the Joburg Convention Bureau three years ago in
Anthony Grohovaz, who has led the initiative to bring the WOC back to South Africa and win the bid for Johannesburg says, “Dubbed the “Orchid Olympics”, this promises to be one of the most extraordinary botanical events and floral extravaganzas ever held in South Africa, and we encourage the public to attend”.
For many orchid fans it has become a habit to meet at this event every three years to take the chance for pre- and-post tours. There are many financial and marketing benefits to the hosting country, given that such shows often have 500 – 1000 international registrants who generally stay 14 – 19 days in total. This has an added effect for the concerned nation as these registrants are usually rich and spend large money during their stay. This event is organised and staged on a non-profit, not for gain basis, with all leftover proceeds to benefit
South Africa’s endangered biodiversity.
This extraordinary botanical event and floral extravaganza usually requires an exhibit space for plants and flowers in excess of 10 000 square metres and is generally attended by 100 000 (one hundred thousand) local visitors.
Along with the World Orchid Conference & Show the following major events will also be orgainsed at the Sandton Convention Centre:
1. 2014 National Cycad Display
2. 2014 South African National Biodiversity Institute Display
3. 2014 Protea and Fynbos Display
4. 21st World Orchid Conference Photographic Competition
5. 21st World Orchid Conference Botanical Art Competition
6. 2014 National Floral Art Competition
7. 2014 National South African Cake Decorators Guild Competition
8. 21st World Orchid Conference RSA Date Stamp
9. WOC21 – WOSA Wetland Display
10. Aloe, Succulent and Model Train Display
11. South African Ikebana Display
12. 21st World Orchid Conference Guinness Book of Records Attempt