Published on : Thursday, July 17, 2014
Louis Comfort Tiffany (1848–1933) left a prodigious mark on American glass and decorative arts during his profound career that spanned nearly fifty years. By the 1890s, Tiffany pioneered new forms of stained glass. His studios produced magnificent leaded-glass windows with themes that reflected the natural world.
Tiffany also received numerous ecclesiastical commissions for leaded-glass windows. The advent of the light bulb and electricity further served as an inspiration for Tiffany’s glass creations. Today, Tiffany Studios is perhaps most famous for producing lamps with extraordinary glass shades and bases with naturalistic, organic motifs such as plants, flowers, and insects. Tiffany’s passion for glass expanded into departments that created blown art glass, glass mosaics, enamels, and ceramics. His studios also produced metalwork and “fancy goods” such as desk sets and candelabras that incorporated glass elements.
An exquisite cobweb table lamp, one of only seven known to exist, a one-of-a-kind Zinnia table lamp, a Peacock window panel, oil paintings, glass vases, and ceramics are some of the many exceptional items on display, some of which are from the former Garden Museum, Nagoya, Japan.
This exhibition was made possible through a generous loan from Michaan’s Auctions, Alameda, CA.
View the online exhibition.
A Radiant Light: The Artistry of Louis C. Tiffany is located pre-security in the International Terminal Main Hall Departures Lobby, San Francisco International Airport. The exhibition is on view to all Airport visitors from July 18, 2014 to January 23, 2015. There is no charge to view the exhibition.
Tags: airlines news, SFO