Brazil – the key factor behind the boom of South American travel industryBrazil – the key factor behind the boom of South American travel industry

Published on : Thursday, December 12, 2013

Marriott-Caribbean-Latin-America-Resorts (1)The South American travel industry has remained one of the world’s booming travel regions this year and prospects remain good for 2014. Brazilians, with their love of short shopping trips, are one of the key factors behind this regional growth.

Over the first eight months of 2013, the number of international trips taken by South Americans increased by 6%, IPK’s American Travel Monitor survey found. There was a 10% increase in trips within the Americas and a low 2% rise in overseas travel. There was a real boom in short trips (less than 4 nights) which increased by 16%. Longer trips grew just 1%, and the average length of an international trip dropped back to 7.5 nights. The total number of international overnight stays by South Americans thus grew only 2%.

Holidays were the main reason for this surge in international travel by South Americans. The number of foreign holidays increased by 9% over the first eight months of 2013, with tours (+13%), city trips (+6%) and beach holidays (+4%) all growing well.

South Americans are still spending heavily on international travel this year, with a 12% rise in total expenditure. The average spending of South Americans on international trips increased by 4% to € 1,679, which is equivalent to € 223 per night. Indeed, Brazilian outbound travel spending has even grown as much as 16% this year, according to Jeanine Pires, Brasilia-based director of Pires & Associates. However, the image of the Brazilian ’big spender’ is no longer always true, she emphasized. ”Brazilians shop a lot but it’s changing. New travellers who travelled first in 2008 and 2009 are experimenting with new or different destinations. So shopping is still very true for North America trips but not necessarily for Europe,” she explained.

Looking ahead, South Americans remain optimistic about their travel planning for next year. A very high 43% plan to travel abroad more, 34% the same and only 19% less than this year. Based on these findings, IPK is predicting a further 6% rise in South American outbound travel next year.

Source: WTTR Report.

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments are closed.

arrow2Follow Us
facebook-logo  twitter-logo  LinkedIn_logo  stumbleupon-logo   rss_logo 





    More Events...