Published on : Sunday, December 7, 2014
Minister for Transport Gladys Berejiklian today announced improvements to the CBD and South East Light Rail project that will result in better services with increased capacity, improved traffic flow at key intersections and less overhead wires.
The NSW Government announced in October a preferred bidder for the contract to design, construct, operate and maintain the new CBD and South East Light Rail line that will run from Circular Quay along George Street to Moore Park, then on to Kingsford and Randwick, Ms Berejiklian said.
As is the case for major infrastructure projects of this scale, proposed modifications to the light rail project will be placed on public exhibition, for two weeks from tomorrow.
“We have been working with the preferred bidder, Connecting Sydney, on a number of improvements to this important infrastructure project that will result in a better service for customers,” Ms Berejiklian said.
“This includes increasing the number of people we can carry by using longer vehicles with the potential to ultimately carry 50 per cent more passengers in each direction than previously planned. Longer vehicles also means longer stops along the way.”
“The proposal offers services that from day one carry up to 15 per cent more light rail passengers in peak hours, and 33 per cent more seats across the day.
“This is great news for transport customers and will ensure the new light rail network can support Sydney’s growing economy and population for decades to come.
“The extension of the Inner West Light Rail showed us just how popular light rail is with our customers.”
Another important improvement is to use modern light rail technology that will remove the need for overhead wire in a large part of George Street, reducing the visual impact of light rail in this busy part of the CBD, Ms Berejiklian said.
“The technology uses a third rail that provides power from the ground as a vehicle passes through. This negates the need for catenary or overhead wiring.”
Ms Berejiklian said the impact on George Street businesses during construction and the operation of light rail in the CBD will also be improved, with the removal of a planned stop at World Square, as part of the proposed modifications to the project.
“The location of this stop presented significant engineering challenges and the nearby Town Hall and Chinatown stops are both less than a two minute walk away, so we believe this is a win for customers and businesses in the area,” she said.
Ms Berejiklian said the Royal Randwick Racecourse stop will also be relocated on to the north side of Alison Road between Anzac Parade and Darley Road, after consultation with the community and stakeholders.
“This will reduce impacts on the racecourse, improve bus access during major events and provide better access to Centennial Park and Randwick TAFE for everyday customers,” Ms Berejiklian said.
“Other proposed improvements will include an alternative construction method for the tunnel under Anzac Parade and through Moore Park to reduce the impact of construction by a number of months on Anzac Parade,” Ms Berejiklian said.
“The Moore Park stop has also been redesigned to be single storey, reducing the visual impact on the surrounding parklands from the previous double storey design.
“This will also improve crowd management during special events by introducing underground entrances and exits at each end of the Moore Park platforms.”
Other proposed design modifications include:
• amended design for the Grosvenor Street stop;
• realignment of the light rail and stops along Alison Road and flood mitigation changes at Centennial Park;
• reduction or relocation of substations;
• realignment of light rail at the Anzac Parade/Alison Road intersection; and
• minor adjustment of height of the Randwick stabling facility.
“We are getting on with job of delivering this important project and ensuring all of Sydney can enjoy the benefits of light rail as soon as possible,” Ms Berejiklian said.
“We are already undertaking early works across the route and have always said major construction will not begin until after Anzac Day 2015.
“As announced in October this year, the wins for customers proposed under the improved project design will mean an increase in the overall budget of the project. The NSW Government is working with the Connecting Sydney consortium to finalise this major contract over the coming weeks.”
As with other major infrastructure projects, including the North West Rail Link, the design of the CBD and South East Light Rail has evolved following the award of Planning Approval in June this year and a modification is now being sought to the approved project to incorporate these changes.
The proposed modifications to the approved CSELR project will be placed on public exhibition between 3 and 17 December.
Source:- Transport NSW
Tags: Blog News, Global Travel News