Published on : Saturday, April 19, 2014
Revenues from Egypt’s tourism have dropped incredibly 43 per cent so far this year due to ongoing unrest keeping holidaymakers away.
The country in turmoil confirmed that tourism revenues had almost halved for the first three months of this year – traditionally when travellers flock to its beaches for some winter sun.
Adela Ragab, economic adviser to Egypt’s Minister of Tourism, said the country earned £700million from tourism in the first quarter of 2014, which is significantly less compared to other years.
The country has been unstable since President Hosni Mubarak was deposed in 2011, but the tourism sector had managed to remain relatively buoyant – particularly in the well-protected Red Sea Resorts.
But when in February, a coach carrying Korean tourists was bombed by Islamist extremists, which caused countries around the world to impose sever restrictions even on tourists hoping to visit the popular resort towns of Sharm el Sheikh and Hurghada.
Ragab said around 15 countries issued travel warnings against Egypt after the incident, which contributed to a 30 per cent drop in the number of tourists in the first quarter to two million people.
So far its advice to travellers is unchanged and the FCO explains on its website that: ‘Enhanced security measures are in place to protect the Sharm el Sheikh resort areas.’
It adds: “Egyptian military are situated in Sharm el Sheikh international airport, at check points around the perimeter of Sharm el Sheikh and throughout the South Sinai Governorate.”