Published on : Friday, June 27, 2014
General Manager Deborah Hume says that the release is part of the company’s commitment to making more information available to the public.
“KiwiRail conducted a thorough investigation into last year’s incident at Melling station and it was concluded that the collision with the stop block was the result of driver error.
“Testing by our engineers showed that the train’s components, including the braking systems, functioned correctly and this was supported by data from the train’s Tranzlog (the equivalent of the black box on an aircraft).”
Ms Hume says that KiwiRail has undertaken are a number of actions following the incident including:
Refresher courses and a review of defensive driver techniques for drivers,
Increased the number of safety briefings and learnings for staff,
Enhanced on-board emergency training for on-board staff members,
Continuing to promote a culture of safe driving practices through safety observations conducted by staff,
Additional emergency exercises and training opportunities.
Ms Hume says that although the independent report by the Transport Accident Investigation Commission (TAIC) has yet to be released, to date they have not alerted KiwiRail to any systemic issues that required attention.
“KiwiRail is confident about the safety of the Matangi or Ganz Mavag services that are currently operating and would never operate any service if there were any issues or concerns regarding its performance.
“Our internal investigation into the incident at Melling on 27 May 2014 is on-going.”
Source:- Kiwi Rail