Published on : Tuesday, August 19, 2014
Melbourne, Australia has again been recognised as the best city in the world to live, topping the Economist Intelligence Unit’s (EIU) Global Liveability Index for the fourth year in a row.
The EIU’s Liveability Ranking assesses living conditions in 140 cities across the globe by assigning a rating across five broad categories, including: stability; healthcare; culture and environment; education; and infrastructure.
The accolade comes on the back of the recent Condé Nast Traveller reader’s choice award naming Melbourne as the world’s ‘friendliest city’, and that’s not all, here are 15 more reasons why Melbourne is the world’s undisputed most liveable city.
1. Where you need to allocate a good ten minutes for a response to the question ‘where is good to eat?’
2. Is one of the only cities in the world where the tram is a main form of transport, and is also a venue to wine and dine and hear live music
3. Is surrounded by such a diversity of wine regions that all varietals of wine can be made, and most are.
4. Is the only city in the world that has five international standard sporting facilities (including four with retractable roofs), and all within walking distance of the city centre.
5. Is the only city in the world to hold five renowned international events in the same month: the Melbourne International Food & Wine Festival, the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix, the Melbourne International Comedy Festival, the Ironman Asia-Pacific Championships, and the Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show.
6. Is mostly flat and full of parks so you can cycle almost everywhere – better for the environment, better for your health.
7. Where half of the population was either born overseas or has a parent who was, which means that there isn’t a cuisine you won’t find.
8. Where when it comes to fashion, black is always the new black.
9. Makes you work for your reward. The best cocktail bars, shops, cafes, and galleries are often hidden down a series of laneways behind an unmarked door, in a basement or on a rooftop.
10. Has more music venues per capita than Austin, Texas.
11. Is home to the most controversial, or the most stunning Architecture feat – Federation Square -depending on which list you are reading.
12. Excels in reading and cycling – though not necessarily at the same time – being the second city in the world to be recognised as a UNESCO City of Literature and the second to be nominated a “bike city” by the UCI.
13. Where art is everywhere – you can’t go far in the city without stumbling across a gallery, museum, installation or some of the world’s best street art.
14. Has a penchant for beards and baristas, especially when one is attached to the other – and the quest for the ‘God Shot’ (the perfect, devine espresso) is a serious pursuit.
15. Is home to Australasia’s best restaurant and the 32nd best in the world – Ben Shewry’s Attica
Tags: EIU’s Liveability Ranking, Melbourne