Published on : Tuesday, May 12, 2015
Marcus Schutenko will begin in the role next week. His most recent role has been as the CEO of the Museum of Chinese Australian History in Melbourne.
Arts and Museums Minister Gary Higgins thanked outgoing MAGNT director Pierre Arpin for his professionalism and work in the role.
“Pierre helped guide the MAGNT through the changeover to a statutory body established under the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory Act 2014 and I thank him for helping usher the MAGNT into a new era,” Minister Higgins said.
“He has been Director of the MAGNT for four years and in that time has worked tirelessly to maintain the existing collection and build on existing relationships for the betterment of the collection, as well as the people of the Northern Territory.
“His work in this area will be always appreciated by the Northern Territory and I wish him well for the future.”
Minister Higgins said the MAGNT Board had run an open and competitive selection process and that Mr Schutenko had been successful. The Board has made a unanimous recommendation to the Minister under the Act to appoint Mr Schutenko.
“I accepted the Board’s unanimous recommendation of Mr Schutenko who comes to the role with a solid background in museum administration and management,” Mr Higgins said.
“His work, in particular, with turning around the Museum of Chinese Australian History into a successful, acclaimed museum is well documented and well respected.
“I welcome Mr Schutenko to the role and look forward to seeing how he’ll lead the MAGNT with the Board into the future.”